Travellin’ Still – the Songs of Slim Dusty
With Pete Denahy & the Travelling Country Band
7pm Saturday 1st of February 2020
When Slim Dusty’s Travelling Country Band played their last full show with Slim in 2002, the band members all went their separate ways.
Fast-forward to 2016, at the Slim Dusty Music Festival in Kempsey, NSW, they found themselves on-stage together for the first time in years. And it felt like only yesterday as the old songs, friendships and memories came flooding back. One comment from an audience member, “This show has to go on the road! got them all thinking, why not? There aren’t many bands around where all the members were part of the Slim Dusty Show!
So, with the approval of Joy and the Family, Rod Coe, Mike Kerin, Jeff Mercer and Peter Denahy have decided to take the show on the road.
And what an experience this will be; five musicians who will be sharing stories, some of their own music and of course the songs of Slim Dusty which will sound pretty darn genuine because they’ll be played by his own original band!
Front man Pete Denahy said he was very much looking forward to getting back on stage with the band. “This will be like putting on an old comfortable pair of boots. (I) can’t wait to be playing the boss’s great old songs again,” he said. “I never thought we’d be playing these songs again in these venues!”
- Rod Coe – bass; Slim’s longtime producer and a man who has seen more of Slim inside a studio than anyone.
- Mike Kerin – fiddle; Slim’s longest serving fiddle player – over 25 years in the band.
- Jeff Mercer – lead guitar; Slim’s right hand man on stage, keeping “the sound” alive.
- Doug Gallacher – drums; also the long-time drummer with the Midday Show Band on Ch9
- Pete Denahy – guitar and vocals; Slim’s last band member who played as a musician and support artist.